Coming up on February 14th, Valentine’s Day can be a costly holiday, but there are creative ways to celebrate on a budget.
Coupon & savings expert Jon Lal offers these ten tips. His site BeFrugal.com offers free online coupons offering an average savings of $27, and free Cash Back which averages 5% for more than 1600 popular online stores such as Macy’s, Target, Dell, Amazon among others. For even sweeter savings, those who sign up for a free account for a limited time get a $10 bonus.
- Give an old-fashioned, homemade paper valentine.
- Write a poem expressing your feelings.
- Publish an iTunes playlist of your favorite love songs for free.
- Use the free app Songify to create your own love song. Writing your own lyrics shows that you care!
- Film a YouTube video describing why you care about that special someone. You can arrange the settings so it can only be viewed with a special link, which you can send your valentine in a free e-card.
- Make a coupon booklet to do fun activities together throughout the year.
- Create a scrapbook capturing your wonderful memories together.
- Bake cookies or make candy to demonstrate how much you care.
- Serve your valentine’s favorite meal for a romantic homemade candlelit dinner. Be sure to check out the weekly ads for sales and clip coupons when you buy the ingredients.
- Treat your sweetie to something sweet. When on a budget, dining out is an indulgence saved for a special occasion, but it doesn’t have to be out of reach. To avoid overspending, enjoy a meal at home then go out on the town just for dessert. Check for a free money-saving coupon before you visit the restaurant.
How do you stay frugal on Valentine’s Day?