Few things are more fun than raiding Target for your new dorm room. It’s amazing what sort of knickknacks you’ll end up buying. (Lava lamps? Try to resist.)
But before you splurge, you should have some dorm room decorating basics under your belt:
- Gather info on your dorm. Find out what your school provides and any items they disallow.
- Coordinate. If you know your roommate, find out what they’re bringing, so you don’t end up with two.
- Use lots of color. Dorms are flavorless until you add printed bedding, colorful lamps, rugs, throws and accessories.
- Go vertical. You can’t drill into walls, so buy a tall shelving unit since floor space is limited.
- Get putty, buddy. Stock up on wall putty and tape. Remember anything you put up ultimately has to come down, so make it easy on yourself.
- Opt for space-saving pieces. Trust me. You’ll appreciate the extra inches.
- Raise your bed by placing the legs on raisers to get some added storage underneath. Some people in my dorm went as far as propping their beds up on cement blocks. Admittedly, I put my bed on top of my dresser on one end and desk on the other (secured with wall putty, which worked incredibly well – there was zero movement).
Monochromatic with a Splash of Pink
Middle row: Sunbeam 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemakers (Pink), $16; Grobal Baby Self-Watering Flower Pot (Jet Black), $14.99; Xhilaration Faux Silk Window Panel (Pink), $19.99; Chalkboard Wall Decal, $24.99 (Write on it!).
Total cost of room: $280.91
Modern Meets Retro
Middle row: Circo Loopy Chenille Rug (Green), $44.99; Hatch Pillow (Green), $39.; Hannah Decorative Pillow (Amber), $14.99; Memorex iWake Up Clock Radio for iPod (White), $50.99; Room Essentials Stick Lamp (Soft Fern), $16.99.
Bottom row: Note-it Style 18 X 24″ Grey Fabric Board, $24.99.
Total cost of room: $284.81
Cool-Blue Tech Chic
Middle row: Room Essentials Stripe Bed Set (Navy), $35; Black & Decker Brew ‘n Go Personal Coffeemaker and 15-oz. Travel Mug, $19.99; Closetmaid Fabric Drawers 2-pk. – Blue, $10.99; Fieldcrest Luxury Fancy Feather Pillow (White), $19.99.
Bottom row: Jensen Interactive Talking Dual Alarm Clock Radio, $24.99.
Total cost of room: $265.42
What’s one must-have item on your list?
Category: school shopping tips