We loved the post and wanted to respond with some travel tips of our own! Since Leah’s post already covers airfare savings, we thought we’d offer a few tips on how to save on hotels!
1. Ask around! Know anyone who’s traveled and stayed at a hotel recently? Ask them how their stay was and find out if they got any good deals. The best tips usually spread by word of mouth so use it to your benefit! Or, if you know someone who works in the hotel industry, ask if you can take advantage of their “friends and family” rates. Most hotel employees will be glad to share the savings, so why not ask!?
2. Use coupons. When booking your hotel always check for online coupons first. They’re easy to use and fairly common. For example, here at fabulous savings we have Orbitz coupons, Hotwire coupons and more! (Click for our full listing of hotel coupons). You’ll find deals and coupon codes for booking your hotel online, tours, activities and much more.
3. Book in advance. Most hotel chains offer advanced-booking discounts on their websites. If you book up to 14 days in advance, often, you’ll be eligible to receive 15%-20% off your booking. Please note, however, that discounts on advanced bookings sometimes come with conditions such as a “no-cancellation” clauses.
4. Get tech-savvy. Follow your favorite hotels on Twitter and Facebook. They’ll usually post deals, savings, promotions and contests. Also, try checking 3rd party sites such as Expedia (see our Expedia coupons) or Travelocity (see our Travelocity coupons). These sites offer the lowest possible hotel rates and allow you to compare prices.
5. Go to the source. If you’re someone who travels a lot, try joining a specific hotels rewards program. For example, Hilton Hotels offer a HHonors rewards program that gives members benefits such as earning hotel points and airline miles as well as expedited check-in’s and free stays for spouses. Or, just call the hotel you’re looking into booking a room at and ask for a discount. They’ll usually give you the down low on all their current deals and discounts. They might even give you a little extra off your booking. It doesn’t hurt to ask!
How do you save on hotel bookings? Do you have any booking tips that we missed? Share in a comment below!
Category: travel shopping tips