Ever wonder what items you can never find a sale for? Natalie Kilgore did and actually wrote an entire piece on it: 10 Things That Never Go on Sale on HowStuffWorks. Among “a few stubborn items and services […] that never go on sale” were luxury clothing, beauty products and diamonds.
Really? Perhaps Ms. Kilgore just isn’t looking in the right place. I’ve making this a sniper challenge to finding coupons that discount these “stubborn” items. After all, if a sale doesn’t come to you, you get a coupon and make your own. No?
Target: Kilgore’s Educational Unsavables
- Private school tuition, college education, medical school or law school
An education really isn’t something you can put a price on. But colleges do, and so comes the need to cut the skyrocketing costs. It’s true: There isn’t a coupon for medical or law school. (And really, run for it if you see “St. Peterborough’s Teaching Hospital now accepts coupons.”)
As for tutoring services, I’ve found Knewton coupons for prep courses. Not the face-to-face sessions you’d get with a personal tutor, but their courses are interactive and fit into your busy schedule.
- $200 off LSAT prep (Expires March 31)
- $100 off SAT prep (Expires March 31)
Bonus offer: Rosetta Stone coupon for learning a new language. Further your understanding of your mother tongue, broaden your career horizons, or just impress the opposite sex.
- Additional 10% off + free shipping
Target: Kilgore’s Luxury Apparel Unsavables
- UGG footwear
- Hermes Birkin bag
- Louis Vuitton handbags, luggage, eyewear
Jaw dropped, anyone? Mine did. In this economic climate, even luxury brands realize they need to slash prices to attract consumers…or there’d be people everywhere wearing pants from Target (although their stuff is pretty cool).
Don’t: Shop at unauthorized sites as you could be buying counterfeits. Do: Use these coupons to save.
- Nordstrom – up to 33% off UGG footwear
Designer Handbags, Eyewear & Clothing
No Hermes Birkin or LV, but designers include 7 For All Mankind, Paige Premium Denim, Prada, Gucci, Fendi, Alexander McQueen and Christian Louboutin. Not too shabby a list.
- Blue Bee coupons – 40% off everything (Expires March 3)
- Bluefly coupons – Extra $30 off $150 orders for new customers (Expires March 31)
That “retailer with the famous little blue boxes” might not hold massive sales, but these respected jewelers frequently do:
- Diamond coupons – 10% off diamond jewelry (Expires March 23)
- Diamonds International coupons – 10% off any order (Expires March 31)
- Ice.com coupons – Extra 20% off + free shipping on all jewelry & watches (FS exclusive)
Target: Kilgore’s Ticket Unsavables
- Concert tickets
- Sports tickets
- Movie tickets
No dispute against the additional processing fees Kilgore mentioned, but online tickets can be discounted. Oftentimes, you can’t buy at the box office because they’re sold out. Cue RazorGator coupons:
- $10 off any order (FS exclusive)
- $15 off $100 order (FS exclusive)
- $20 off $200+ order (Expires March 31)
Target: Kilgore’s Home Improvement Unsavables
- Patio paving, lumber, tile, stone
- Flowers, grass, potting soil, pine straw, trees, shovels & pruners
Basement is now your pool? Patio looking like a tornado blew by? Yeah, don’t wait to get help quick. But for small repairs and planned renos, check these out:
- Home Depot coupons – 50% off power tools & accessories, 30% off tile saws & accessories, 40% off faucets & showerheads
- Faucet Direct, Venting Direct, Lighting Direct coupons – 2% off your entire order
Target: Kilgore’s Electronic Unsavables
- Television, DVD player, computer
- iPhone, iPad, iPod
- Video games, video game consoles
Nowadays you don’t have to camp outside stores to get the best price cuts on electronics. Just pay attention to online sales to avoid sleeping on the cold concrete. Getting trampled over while reaching for that 60″ TV? So 2002.
- Best Buy coupons – 20-50% off select digital cameras & $115-$750 off select Samsung TVs (Both expire March 5)
- Dell coupons – 25% off Dell Mini 10, 20% off Inspiron XPS15, $70 off Dell XPS laptops
Target: Kilgore’s Beauty Unsavables
- Salon services, highlights, custom styling
Bikini wax. Roots showing. Ingrown hairs. There are some salon & spa services that just can’t wait. Let me intro you to our SpaFinder exclusive. You save on the face value of the gift certificate that can be redeemed at numerous spas and salons in the US. Print it out at home, and you save on the shipping fees, too. Pretty neat.
- 10% off $100 or more orders of gift certificates (FS exclusive)
The claim that cosmetics and beauty products is almost laughable to us, what with these awesome discounts:
- SkinStore coupons – 20% off any order (Expires March 14), $15 off $100 orders (FS exclusive)
- ULTA coupons – $15 off $75+ order (Expires March 12)
- FragranceNet – 15% off everything + free shipping on $70 (FS exclusive)
We are currently working with OPEC companies to see what we can do. No, sorry, I wish it were true. The easiest method for saving on gasoline is using a cash-back credit card that gives you a % back on gas purchases. See: Chase Freedom. Ms. Kilgore is right on this one: no coupons available.
How’s my shooting accuracy? Any items on the 10 Things That Never Go on Sale list that you’ve saved on? Share with our readers!
Cite: Kilgore, Natalie. “10 Things That Never Go on Sale” 22 February 2011. HowStuffWorks.com. <http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/10-things-that-never-go-on-sale.htm> 02 March 2011.
Category: shopping tips